There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself. -Louis XIV

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything. - Doc Emmett L. Brown

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. - Wayne Gretzky

Tags: famous, quotes

Views: 4268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oooh! Oooh! Me too.....

Prime Minister Gladstone said to Disraeli, "I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease".

Disraeli replied, "That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." ----(though I have heard this quip accredited to others..)

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.”–Winston Churchill

“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”–Clarence Darrow

“He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”–William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"—Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend... if you have one.”–George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

“Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second, if there is one.”–Winston Churchill’s response to George Bernard Shaw

....and more from http://www.allowe.com/Humor/book/When%20Insults%20Had%20Class.htm

The first quote has been attributed to John Wilkes , the C18th politician and scoundrel , and many others .

The Professor inclines to Wilkes on chronological grounds but suggests that such an exchange between Gladstone and Disraeli is very unlikely . The very idea of Gladstone having a mistress is a fantasy beyond even Disraeli .

Participants in this Forum might also enjoy ' Last Poster Wins ' where the Quote Wars have been raging for months .

If I could describe a "human being" I would be more than I am- and probably living in the future, because I think of human beings as something to be realized ahead...But clearly "human beings" have something to do with the luminous image you see in a bright child's eyes- the exploring, wondering, eagerly grasping, undestructive quest for life. I see that undescribed spirit as central to us all.

Alice Sheldon/ James Tiptree Jr.

Two of my favorites:

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Attributed to George Bernard Shaw

(This one seem particularly appropriate for the Steampunk community)

The great Gaels of Ireland
Are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry,
And all their songs are sad.

G. K. Chesterton - Ballad of the White Horse

"I'm not always a sarcastic a******. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, The Dresden Files-

HaHa, My turn,

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid - Einstein

English does not borrow from other languages. it follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.--James Nicol 

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good--Samuel Johnson

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.--GK Chesterton

It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time.--Tallulah Bankhead

and my two very favorites for last:

“If you can’t say something good about someone, come sit next to me.”--Alice Roosevelt Longworth (first daughter of T. Roosevelt)  &

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.--Dorothy Parker

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield!"

--Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Ulysses

I have not loved the world, nor the world me; 
I have not flattered its rank breath, nor bowed 
To its idolatries a patient knee,  
Nor coined my cheek to smiles, nor cried aloud 
In worship of an echo; in the crowd 
They could not deem me one of such; I stood 
Among them, but not of them; in a shroud 
Of thoughts which were not their thoughts, and still could, 
Had I not filed my mind, which thus itself subdued. 

-George Gordon, Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, Canto III, Stanza 113.

Invictus

by William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 

"The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides.”   Jules Verne

"I wanted to be an up-to-date king. But I didn't have much time." King Edward VIII

“Yesterday is but today's memory, tomorrow is today's dream.”  Kahlil Gibran

"Biographies are but the clothes and buttons of the man. The biography of the man himself cannot be written."

Mark Twain

And last but not least a comic antidote...

“Do you think God gets stoned? I think so . . . look at the platypus.”    Robin Williams

"There are absolutely no Indians in that valley!"

Gen. G.A. Custer

One of my all-time faves:

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

--Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

I forgot one:

"I should as soon be descended from an ape as from an ignorant savage, who delights in the torture of his enemies, treats his wives like slaves and is haunted by the basest of superstitions!" -Darwin.

Here are a few of mine. Most of them are from books. Contains some spoilers.

"All the elements of life are in constant flight from us, with darkness and clarity intermingled, the vision and the eclipse; we look and hasten, reaching our hands out to clutch; every happening is a bend in the road . . . and suddenly we have grown old. We have a sense of shock and gathering darkness; ahead is a black doorway; the life that bore us is a flagging horse, and a veiled stranger is waiting in the shadows to unharness it." -Victor hugo, Les miserables

"And the rich have radios to talk to eachother and bring them the baseball" -Ernest Hemmingway, The Old Man and the Sea

"It was a morality core they installed in me after I flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin to stop me from flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin." -GLaDOS, Portal

That's all I can think of.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service