The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

I am looking for websites that sell low budget everyday steamy clothes. I would like something I could wear everyday and is functional but it would be obvious to one of us that I am steampunk. Any suggestions? Casual I said casual. Not costumes.

Tags: attire, budget, casual, cheap, clothes, clothing, fashion, low

Views: 1207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist. You're best bet is to hit up a thrift store for the basics (pants, shirts, maybe waistcoats), and then spend a little more on the accessories (hats, coats, goggles, if that's what floats your boat).
A sewing machine might be a good investment, if you're so inclined. You can tailor clothes, or make your own.
Salvation Army?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just don't know of any one place. The Edwardian/Victorian look comes back around every now and again, but they only stay in style for a short period of time, so they'll end up in the mix at the thrift shops. You have to be willing to spend the day thrifting, and don't be disappointed if you don't find anything on that day. Just get a route going. You'll find the good stuff.

I've been buying long coats for about fifteen years solely because they make me feel like an action hero.
They billow.
Yes, I'm a nerd, why do you ask?

Anyway, I've gotten them in thrift stores, army navy stores, import stores, (even, dare I say it, H&M.) But I only ever find one piece at a time. At least two have been sitting in the back of my closet for years waiting for me to find a good use for them. Now that I've joined the Empire I'm glad I kept them.
I hear H&M is great for inexpensive basics. No shame in shopping mainstream, if they've got what you want at a good price.

(That said, I wouldn't shop at American Apparel, but that's more cause their ads are terrible and nothing there would fit me :D)
I'm right with you there.
Indeed! I got the idea in my head when my mother got two coats from Macy's that are very steampunk.
I picked up my items a piece at a time.

My bowler I acquired whilst going through Amish country in Northern Indiana. There's a store called Yoder's Department Store that had bowlers and top hats, suspenders and the like. In the Southern Indiana town of Spencer, there's Tonto Rim Trading Company, that carries clothing from Wahmaker, Frontier Classics and Scully that is appropriate to the Victorian/Edwardian era. I've also picked up patterns and the like, watch chains (look up "Dorado Slim's Watch Chains" online), walking sticks and other items. I got a British style pith helmet from e-Bay as well.

Bottom line, you've got to be vigilant.

Also, keep in mind that any garment has a wear-out date. I have clothes that I wear to work daily that are either Victorian, Old West or some variety of steamy in nature, but eventually, you're going to have to replace some items when they literally fall apart.
I usually go for the waistcoat , tweed news boy cap , fob chain/ pocket watch , basically keep it simple but functional, all thrift store find, echo the don't panic if every trip isn't productive , it happens a bit at a time , by the same token use good judgment, if it isn't right for you pass on it , there will be more next weekend..it's all about the hunt anyway. seems like most are of the same mind here.
enjoy
Personally, I have been wearing tweed, vests and carrying a pocketwatch on occasion for over thirty years. I only recently purchased a pair of goggles to differentiate between when I am "dressed up" and when I am just dressed. So my low-budget casual wear is already in my closet. I have been haunting thrift stores for decades as well, and most of my more interesting clothes (vests, aloha shirts, pin-striped suit trousers [no, not worn simultaneously, although a Steampunk parrot-head would be a fun character]) are thrift-shop finds

(I have only started going to events since this summer, when my lovely and very dangerous wife met some of my on-line friends at a Anime Con. She decided that we needed to be more social, and the Doctor needed an outfit suitable for events.)
If shopping online, you can sometimes find decently priced used clothing on ebay, especially in the smaller sizes.
Hi... this is going to be awful but I do
www.kathrynpaterwic,wordpress.com

fell free to check out my website
Yours Knight
I believe you mean www.kathrynpaterwic.wordpress.com. I liked Gloomth but there aren't mens clothes yet.
Thanks!
On the website, What Price Glory, you can find a few things for this impression.

British Officer Khaki Drill Trousers- $45.00
UK Khaki belted Bush Shirts- $48.00 http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1243&bc=no
UK Pith Helmet, Wolseley Pattern- $60.00

At Hessian Antiques

I think the Imperial WWI German stuff would be great if you are doing a Zepplin crew. They have caps and the like.

http://www.hessenantique.com/M1907_Dress_Uniform_Caps_p/heih003.htm

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service