The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

So much of what is Steampunk, Victoriana, or Maker-Related (as far as I can see) seems to happen in Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, NYC, and Atlanta.

There are many events happening on or near the coasts, I don't tend to see nearly as much in the middle, save for what DJ Infamous and crew manage in the Oklahoma through Missouri and Kansas area - and maybe I am just not looking in the right places.

I'd love to find some events in the Northern Ohio, Michigan, Eastern Illinois, Northern Indiana areas, but anything within less than 6 hours driving distance would be fantastic.

So, I am putting this thread up in hopes that people will share information Conventions happening in the Midwest. I know I could use the information, hopefully others can benefit as well.

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well thank you for offering all the same. Beth and I really couldn't figure out what we would do panels on, unfortunately. I must apologize for our lack of correspondence though - I;ve been rolling out of bed every day to do construction work and working all the way through to bed time every night. The internet has gotten away from me as a result.

I do hope there are still tables available however - we have not yet secured ours, but really would love to be a part of the convention. If we can't, well, we at the very least plan to be in attendance.
It does seem like the coasts get all the love when it comes to large steampunk conventions. We formed Steam Century as a way to bring steampunk events to the Midwest and also make it have a Midwestern feeling. We don't need to be riding on anyone else's coattails, after all!

Steam Century hosts events at several Wisconsin conventions and next year we will be in Illinois hosting our own event at Midway Village in Rockford, IL.

You can find the remainder of this year's schedule here

For next year we will be featured in the Steampunk programming at NakamaCon over Memorial day weekend. That will be here in Madison, WI.

We are confirmed for two events at Midway Village in Rockford, IL. The first will be April 10 and the second will be July 17. We will have the run of the entire village (that is 27 buildings over 10 acres surrounded by 140 acres of woods and pasture) and we are working to get discounts on local hotels for anyone coming in from out of town. We are also planning on having vendors and other entertainment for our guests. I hope to have more information soon.
Actually there is a dedicated event next year that's been in the works for some time. Next Memorial Day weekend is the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, Michigan. Hosted at the Hyatt Regency Dearborn in collaboration with the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village, it's going to be an event that you won't want to miss.

A hello again to everyone that we met up with back at San Diego Comic Con the other weekend, the feedback's been great and we're moving things along like clockwork. I look forward to hearing more from everyone, thanks again.
Do you have a webpage or flyer for this yet? There are a lot of people looking for Michigan events on Brass Goggles and on the Michigan LJ group. Since Chicago (and Gary) are nearly an impenetrable wall for anyone with the misfortune of having the drive the route, we can't help much for people to the east of the Lake.
I'm with Captain Brennan here, I would LOVE some information about this. I heard a rumor about this at JAFAX [an anime expo out at GVSU] but no one I talked to had a website or really any information outside of it might be in Dearborn or it might be in Detroit. Anyone who's got any info, I'm chomping at the bit to hear about this!
That would be the World Steam Expo, set to take place next Memorial Day Weekend at the Hyatt Regency Dearborn, in Dearborn, Michigan. There's a lot in the works right now, and we're gearing the website for a full launch in the near future, so there will be a lot of information at that time that should answer a lot of questions. So yes, special guests, workshops, panels, and a whole lot more. Sorry that I can't quite go into it more at this moment, but you should like what you see at that time.
Thanks for the reply! I'm really excited to see the website :]
That is only 2 hours from us ^_^ Yay!
http://www.worldsteamexpo.com

Much, much more to come my friends. Rest assured, you won't want to miss this.
I really don't *want* to miss it, but might have to.

I need to decide between MARCON and the World Steam Expo in the next week or two. It is a tough decision.
So glad to hear the artists agreements will be up soon. Let me know when they are, and I'll do my part to spread the news. Thank you ^__^
I wish I could go but unfortunately, I usually am on panels at Marcon which is the same weekend.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service