The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

I was asked how I made my hat and I figured I should do a write up. It started when I found this site and a pattern for a tricorn hat:

http://knitlikeapirate.com/projects/tricorn.shtml

I recommend thoroughly reading that article site and getting comfortable with the process. I modified the plan itself but the overall procedure is the same for most of it. My directions will make a little more sense if you directly compare to those instruction as they are written slightly better.

So this may not be the best way, but it's how I did it. As well I've only been knitting for about a month and this is my 3rd hat tried.

Start:

Cast on 108 placing stitch markers after 10, 10, 14, 10, 10, 10, 10, 14, 10, 10.

I number my markers 1-10 so that I know when I've made a complete round.

I then knit 14 rounds. The directions have alternating knits and purls for a bit but I found it posed no real difference and I don't like doing purls.

I'll use (M#) to indicate where my markers are

Round 15: k8, k2tog, (M1) k8, k2tog, (M2) k14, (M3) k2tog, k8, (M4) k2tog, k8, (M5) k8, k2tog, (M6) k8, k2tog, (M7) k14, (M8) k2tog, k8, (M9) k2tog, k8 (M10)

Round 16: knit

Hatband:

Round 17: Purl

Round 18: Knit

Crown:

Round 1: k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M1) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M2), k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, k3, kt2tog, (M3) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M4) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M5) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M6) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M7), k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, k3, kt2tog, (M8) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M9) k3, k2tog, k2, k2tog, (M10)

Round 2: Purl

Round 3-25: Knit (this is the pictured hat, I'm doing another where I'm doing about 60 rounds here to make it a taller hat)

Top decreases:

Take out half your stitch markers, so you have a marker at the beginning of your round and at 14, 18, 14, 18, 14 stitches

If you have double-pointed needles, this might be a good time to switch to them. ( I just used a 16 inch round as my local store didn't have size 13 double endeds.)

Repeat this 2 round pattern 4 times:

Round 1: k2tog, knit to marker, repeat

Round 2: slip-slip-knit, knit to marker, repeat

Round 9: k2tog, k4, (M1) k2tog, k3, k2tog, k3, (M2) k2tog, k4, (M3) k2tog, k3, k2tog, k3, (M4) k2tog, k4 (M5)

Round 10: k2tog, k3, (M1) k2tog, k2, k2tog, k2, (M2) k2tog, k3, (M3) k2tog, k2, k2tog, k2, (M4) k2tog, k3 (M5)

Tippytop:

Now you should have 24 stitches.

Round 11: k2tog, repeat (12 stitches left)

Round 12: k2tog, repeat (6 stitches left)

Break the yarn, leaving a longish tail, and thread the needle. Catch the stitches on the extra yarn and pull it tight.

From here follow the felting procedure:

http://knitlikeapirate.com/techniques/felting.shtml

To shape the hat I found a bowel that was close to the same size as my head and drew the wet felted hat down squarely so that it was even in height. I used rubber bands to hold the hat in place. This ended up being a bad idea as it made ribs in the hat that would not come out after it was dried unless I resoaked and did some hand felting. On the next hat I'm planning on a single rubber band at the top and then maybe a wide over lapping ribbon wrapped around and around and then a rubber band at the bottom. I also did a fairly tight "plain blanket stitch" with a needle and yarn diagonally through the side/top of the hat to help define the shape. As well I shaped out the brim by hand, checking back every few hours to make sure it was still a satisfactory shape.

Stiffening:

I let it dry for a day or 2 until it was thoroughly dry, a fan can help, but not direct heat. I then used a 2:1 ratio of denatured alcohol (2) and shellac (1) in a small spray bottle (all 3 things were purchased at my local hardware store) and soaked down the top “corner” and sides of the brim with this solution. Let it dry until it stopped stinking. I sprayed areas I wanted stiffer a 2nd time and let dry again. I made sure to try not to spray the hat band area as I wanted it to remain a little flexible for wearing.

I think that covers how I did it. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer best I can.

Tags: hat, knitted, top, wool

Views: 17822

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm very impressed.
This is brilliant Mr Cucumber.
You did a marvelous job.
And would like one in green, please. :-)
By everything Holy and Unholy that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. My fiancée is a Knitter and I am really impressed.
I atribute most of my success to luck. But thank you none the less. And to be fair the side view is not as awesome as it more circular than oval which causes appeance issues. I'm hoping the taller one will fix some of that. Likely have it done in a week or so.

Finished my taller top hat. I think 60 rounds for the height is a bit too tall likely 45 would be perfect. But I like it none the less. Being a bit 'over the top' feel okay.

Nice job it looks great

Brilliant!

as we would say on Ravelry,  Love (1000000000)

Wow...you actually knit yourself a top hat.  Had I not seen I wouldn't have believed it could be done.

Lovely!  Can't wait to see more of your creations!
I say! That is a very smart looking hat Mr. Cucumber. :)

RSS

Search the Empire

RSS

© 2015   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service