The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

i'm not sure i have a favorite but i am currently enjoying Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Views: 3792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ouch! I haven't read this book (couldn't get into it) but your review is incisive and fascinating. Do you have a blog to post it on somewhere?  I hate that it's lost in the comments this way.  (On the other hand, maybe that's better for Priest!)  You've convinced me I don't want to read it, though, in case I ever thought to try again.

Yes, I do.  But I'm finishing a short story and have a deadline to meet.  Therefore I won't be able to go back to dealing a thorough critique of Boneshaker.  Right now, I only have the header up for that piece. 

I will cover even more detail the offenses to our local culture and history, plus an analysis of writing style, grammar, whatever. At the end of this week or so.

I owe Cherie Priest, though.  If I hadn't been so appalled by the book, I never would have tried writing fiction myself. I read that and thought: I can do better!  I know I'm a good writer when it comes to subjects like economic democracy, theology, esotericism, or a labor perspective.  But I did not believe I had the creativity or training in character development that it takes to do good fiction.

http://www.thesteampunkpopulist.weebly.com 

So far I have to say my faves are the Leviathan series.  I am so eager for Goliath!

Just finished "Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel" by Pip Ballentine and Tee Morris. I haven't read a book as fast and voraciously since the last Harry Potter book. Fast paced, likable characters, decent plot.

So far it's at the top of my very short list. Going to try to read Boneshaker next, but after two chapters I can tell it will be a chore.

I have to finish Leviathan, too.

I picked up Phoenix Rising because of the copy on the back and completely loved it. I just hopre they have more adventures planned (they better). Check out heir website. Fun Place. Jude Law as Wellington Books and Kate Beckensale as Eliza Braun?

I picked up Phoenix Rising because of the copy on the back and completely loved it. I just hopre they have more adventures planned (they better). Check out heir website. Fun Place. Jude Law as Wellington Books and Kate Beckensale as Eliza Braun?

Finally got around to reading this as well.   Excellent, perfectly steampunk.  Action, adventure, mystery, spirited women and perfectly dapper and mannered gentlemen, gruesome, secretive and brutal enemies.  Their website is great.  Can't wait for the next novel.  Jude Law and Kate are too old.  Need someone in their mid to late 20s.  Much as I like Jude and Kate, they're getting a bit too long in the tooth.  Plus, Miss Braun is a redhead.

http://www.ministryofpeculiaroccurrences.com/novels/

True but I have a preference for Kate. I find myself, at times, casting books as I read them. Really annoying habit at times. I don't remember which book (a while back) but for some reason I thought of Sean Connery as one of the characters and from that point on I tended to read that character's dialogue as Connery. And I, too am really hoping for a 2d book in the series.

True but I have a preference for Kate. I find myself, at times, casting books as I read them. Really annoying habit at times. I don't remember which book (a while back) but for some reason I thought of Sean Connery as one of the characters and from that point on I tended to read that character's dialogue as Connery. And I, too am really hoping for a 2d book in the series.

I do that same thing.  Makes reading a book easier sometimes.  I would go for someone like Leighton Meester.  She's mid 20s, looks good as a redhead. The guy is harder, because not only does he has to be good-looking, but he has to be great looking in a hat, and not every good actor can pull it off.

im reading one called dead iron, its steampunk /western, forgot the authors name.

I just finished that on recently. I really hope the author, Devon Monk, has a few more planned. Something I liked about the book, besides the genre and the story, was the way the "narrator" told the story in basically the same way the characters talked. Like someone sitting around a campfire, on in a bar and relating a story that he'd heard about. A subtle and effective device that hit me about half way through the book.

An excellent find; Aurorarama, but Jean-Christophe Valtat.  Definitely in the 'New Weird' school of fiction, so if you need everything explained, expect to be unfulfilled.  If you don't enjoy China Mieville you won't enjoy this book.  You simply must accept as a given the city of New Venice, planted in the Arctic with a neo-Victorian ambiance, impeccably dressed secret police with tophats and sword-canes, a mysterious black airship, a steampunk/techno rave music scene, and fevered inventive bizarreness tossed at you like confetti.  The language is well-crafted, and a joy to read.  This is a particular achievement because the author is French, writing his first English novel. On the down side, the characters seem a bit out of 'central casting', one has the feeling of having encountered their archetypes before.  The Inuit have a secondary role, but are treated with respect and not romanticized.  Most sadly, the first female character does not appear until page 50-something, and is promptly seduced.  Females then appear only in supporting roles, chiefly in various stages of deshabille, and mostly seem to be kidnapped, mesmerized, and abused.  The dust cover reports the book is, "EPISODE ONE IN AN ASTONISHING NEW SERIES".  I certainly hope so, because I would love to visit icebound New Venice again.  But my pleasure would only be enhanced if Mr. Valtat would take the challenge of constructing an interesting female character and giving her a central role.

I am reading a steampunk novel (Sorry, can't think of the title.  "Something Something Spring-heeled Jack") and everytime I come across the word "velocipede"  this picture springs to mind:

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service