The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

I would like to propose a "Scarf & Scavenge" Meet in San Francisco. We could meet at a coffee shop or cafe (hopefully an economically prudent one), then run amok through the thrift stores, surplus stores, junk yards and garbage bins. Perhaps even rampage through that cool art supply store on Market?

I suppose any day of the week would work, if we could get at least a few people together for it. Unfortunately for our werewolf and vampire brethren, store hours would require this to be done during daylight hours.

The current suggestion is for Saturday September 10th, or a weekday in September if that is more amenable. Please weigh in with your availability!

I realize that some other locales in the Bay Area have suitable venues as well, but I am not familiar with them. Therefore, my ability to organize such a meet would be, at best, limited.

Tags: Area, Bay, Francisco, San, amok, art, clothing, food, gadgets, making, More…rampage, scavenging

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

Unless anyone objects, we'll meet Saturday September 10th at the Flora Grubb Garden's coffee shop. I need to know if anyone else will be bringing transportation, please.

I hope 11 am is good for everyone.

If this works out, hopefully we can do this once a month or every two months.

11am at Flora Grubb's is good for me.

I'm afraid that my feet are my sole transport, so I'm hoping that I can squeeze into the corner of your van.

Are we dressing for this event, or will flagging a pair of goggles be enough?

I'm not able to dress for the event much, but you are welcome to. I'd caution against anything too fancy, because of the seating in my van. I wouldn't forgive myself if something ruined because it got snagged.

I will see those who are able to attend, Saturday morning at 11 a.m.  I've just printed up the maps of our route.

For those who are able to attend, we have a special surprise, courtesy of Mr. Matthew Nash (no peeking!).  I have listed my cell phone number on the event listing, for those who can attend at the last minute or want to catch up with us a little later.

http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/events/san-francisco-scarf-n-scav...

Well, a good time was had by all today. Our only regret was that we couldn't spend more time together, that Shadarko's time with us was cut short, and we did not have time to tour Matthew Nash's workshop.

SCRAP was wonderful. Lots of things we can use, and lots of others things we could, someday, find a use for.

A real treat was the discount arts and crafts store at 50 Thirteenth St. Wow. Great discounts, fantastic stuff (and they are stocking a bunch of items just for us steampunkers), and they don't charge for all the ideas we walk out with.

Euphrenia has suggested perhaps our next outing should be a picnic. San Francisco definitely has a lot of great places for it, so you might let her know if you have suggestions.

I had a great time, and next time I'll make sure I don't have to spend the rest of the in front of a sewing machine.  Did your end up working by the way?  A picnic is a great idea now that SF summer has begun.
I was exhausted by the time I got home, so I haven't tried the sewing machine yet. But Euphrenia found me a gorgeous brocade that I will be making into a vest.
I love the Arboretum this time of year.
Oooooo... The Arboretum any time of year, really. :-)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service