The Steampunk Empire

The Crossroads of the Aether

I haven't seen this addressed in any SP performer groups, so since I'm the new kid on the block I'll be the first(?) to ask directly & hope someone will shed some light on this for me (and maybe others as well). If it's something you don't wish to discuss on a public forum you're welcome to message me :-)

I've seen several performers (professionals and hobbyists) within SP solicit "donations" from the public either via Facebook or their website. Are the performance rates so abysmal that this is necessary? I've heard rumors that on the whole, conventions don't pay performers (outside of headliners) a going rate, and some don't pay at all. Surely this can't be true?

Views: 196

Replies to This Discussion

Greene,

I saw a post on FB a few weeks ago about another performing group that also didn't get paid and I was going to ask you about it, but I forgot. :( Do you want me to find it and send it to you?

I have been contacted by A LOT of those acts, Ms. Boone. Up until now I've been keeping my mouth shut, hoping the promoter would make good. I don't really need to network with those folks - best of luck to them as well. 

I am sorry Greene, I have heard several horror stories from that event, and I could say I am shocked, but I know of another event who told performers as they were arriving that they would not be getting what they wanted. In your case I am glad you at least got something, since some groups didn't even get a deposit. From what I have heard, they are not planning another as the company who ran the event has been dissolved, making this a legal issue, since everyone will be going after the owners for funds, and contracts that were not honored. I have mentioned this to one of the other groups, but you should form a class action suit against them.

As for Dickens on the Strand, yes it is a wonderful event, but getting in can be difficult, especially on your first time. They have a long process to get in and we found out we were doing it two weeks before the event.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hephzibah Marsh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service