It occurred to me that I wanted to have a computer mouse that resembled a scarab… So I made one.
I call him “Ted Kordless”.
We had an old-ish wireless mouse that had nearly the perfect shape, the legs and head were made from Sculpey modeling clay and the gem is a simple glass bead. All paints are basic, inexpensive model paints with a spray-on clear coat applied after.
The mouse was white plastic with gray side buttons. I painted the carapace areas black before the wife applied a coat of a blue-gold mixture she made and then it was just a matter of using gold to delineate the wings. I applied a simple gold to the sides and brass color to the side buttons so they would stand out some.
The clay I used is plain white painted brass. In general, the Sculpey works well. I have used it in the past to make chess pieces, but this was the first time I needed to make something this thin and delicate and also significantly matching so as to keep the legs reasonably symmetrical. I learned a lot in the process, but in the future I might try cutting them from plastic.
I had intended to use Gorilla Glue epoxy to attach the legs, head and gem. Unfortunately, the glue foams and expands as it dries unless the two surfaces are clamped and that just didn’t work out, here. I ended up using simple craft glue, which seems to be holding well (even on the barely attached glass bead). Since I don’t intend to put this item through much punishment, I suspect the glue will hold sufficiently.
I am already planning a second scarab-mouse. Version 2 is likely to be less “Egyptian relic” and have a more clockwork design, including articulated wings that (I hope) will flutter slightly when a button is clicked.